On the memorable day that the U.S.– Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement has at long last gone into effect – eight years after its negotiation started, it is useful to recall how beneficial Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) are, and have been, for America’s manufacturers. Far from being the drag on the U.S. economy claimed by many detractors of our trade agreements, these agreements have been a boon for manufacturers in the U.S. and factory workers – as well as for farmers and service providers.
Accounting for just 12.5 percent of Gross Global Product outside the United States, America’s FTA partners (counting Korea, the agreement with which went into effect last year) have accounted for a remarkable 52 percent of the growth of U.S. manufactured goods exports so far this year.
Exports to them are growing faster than to non-FTA partners. Through March, U.S. manufactured goods exports to FTA partners were 13 percent larger than for the same period of 2011. Our manufactured goods exports to non-FTA partners during the same time grew 10 percent – meaning that exports to FTA partners grew one-third faster!
And, confounding trade critics, manufactured goods trade with FTA partners has been in surplus for several years – meaning we sell them more manufactured goods than they sell us. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce’s International Trade Administration FTA report, counting Korea our manufactured goods surplus with FTA partners was $7.5 billion in 2010, $29 billion in 2011, and so far in 2012 was at an annual rate of $47 billion. In the coming months, the new Colombian agreement will add even more to that figure.
Counting the newly-implemented Colombian agreement, the proportion of Gross Global Product outside the United States accounted for by our FTA partners rises from 12.5 percent to 13.1 percent – but that leaves 86.9 percent of World GDP outside the United States as markets without FTAs with us, markets with trade barriers limiting our exports. It is high time to open those markets so more American workers can be employed producing high-quality U.S. products to be sold around the world.
Frank Vargo is vice president for international economic affairs, National Association of Manufacturers.
Latest posts by Frank Vargo (see all)
- More Good FTA News, But also a Need to Move Faster - June 29, 2012
- 86.9 Percent of World Market Still Maintains Barriers Against U.S. Exports - May 15, 2012
- Colombia Trade Agreement Certified, Creating New Export Market - April 16, 2012