How Sweet It Is: Three Hershey Company Facilities Achieve ‘Zero Waste to Landfill’

By February 14, 2012Energy, Innovation

The Hershey Company recently announced that three of its manufacturing facilities in Pennsylvania have achieved “Zero-Waste-to-Landfill” (ZWL) status due to the company’s ongoing recycling and waste management efforts. According to the press release, ZWL means that manufacturing waste from these three facilities has been eliminated from landfill disposal.

Approximately 90 percent of this waste is recycled, and the remaining 10 percent is converted to energy at nearby waste-to-energy incinerators in Bainbridge, PA and Harrisburg, PA. This announcement underscores the company’s long-standing commitment to environmental sustainability. Founder Milton Hershey started the company’s first recycling center in Hershey in 1937, long before recycling and waste reduction were common practices.

Terence O’Day, Senior Vice President of Global Operations stated in the release, “We are proud of our role as stewards of the environment and of our progress in eliminating waste from our operations. We achieved ZWL at these facilities through a rigorous process of eliminating waste, recycling and converting waste to energy. Our employees understand the importance of sustainability across our company and are working together to reach our reduction goals.”

In addition to its recycling achievements, the company has also invested in solar panels to generate electricity at several facilities and made commitments to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions.

Alicia Meads is director of energy and resources policy, National Association of Manufacturers.

Leave a Reply