President Obama joined manufacturers this afternoon at Alcoa Davenport Works in Bettendorf, Iowa. NAM Board Chair and Vermeer Corporation President CEO Mary Andringa greeted the President before his tour of the facility and attended his speech.
Los Angeles Times, “Obama highlights manufacturing revival, jobs in Iowa”
BusinessWeek, “Obama Turns to Alcoa as Backdrop for Manufacturing Message”
The President discussed several of the initiatives he announced earlier this month, including his endorsement of the Manufacturing Institute’s Skills Certification System and the formation of the Advanced Manufacturing Partnership of which Alcoa is a partner.
We are encouraged to hear President Obama continue to discuss the importance of manufacturing to the economy and to job growth. Yet manufacturers continue to face burdensome regulations, higher taxes and energy costs and increased global competition.
If manufacturers are going to continue to lead our economic recovery and create quality, high-paying jobs we need policies that give business owners certainty and the tools to grow. The NAM has a blueprint of policies that will help us remain competitive. Our Manufacturing Strategy for Jobs and a Competitive America has three very simple goals:
- To make the U.S. the best country in the world to headquarter a company and for direct foreign investment.
- To make the U.S. the best country to innovate and perform the bulk of a company’s research and development.
- To make the U.S. a great place to manufacture and serve as an export platform for the world.
It is my hope that we can continue to work with President Obama, his Administration and Congress on advancing policies that keep the United States the number one manufacturing economy in the world.
Jay Timmons is president and CEO of the National Association of Manufacturers.
Latest posts by Jay Timmons (see all)
- Manufacturers on the President’s Cuba Announcement - June 16, 2017
- Manufacturers on Infrastructure: Get It Done - June 9, 2017
- American Values, Manufacturing Have a Place in Cuba - May 15, 2017