That’s from the American Association for Justice’s home page, advertising to its trial lawyer members a Presidents’ Day discount on informational packages on how to sue productive members of society. Thank goodness that sale is over.
Seems like a good time to post an excerpt from Abraham Lincoln’s 1850 “Notes for a Law Lecture“:
Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. Point out to them how the nominal winner is often a real loser — in fees, expenses, and waste of time. As a peacemaker the lawyer has a superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.
Never stir up litigation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does this. Who can be more nearly a fiend than he who habitually overhauls the register of deeds in search of defects in titles, whereon to stir up strife, and put money in his pocket? A moral tone ought to be infused into the profession which should drive such men out of it.
Also, from David Freddoso, Washington Examiner:
A detailed Washington Examiner analysis of the top 110 plaintiffs’ firms in America shows that their employees and partners gave about $7.3 million to political campaigns during the last cycle, with almost every penny — 97 percent — going to Democrats. The remaining 3 percent was split almost evenly between independent Senate candidate Charlie Crist of Florida and Republican candidates for federal office.
The political action committee of the American Association for Justice, the trial lawyers’ top trade group, was equally friendly to Democrats, giving the party and its candidates 97 percent of AAJ’s $2.7 million in 2010 contributions.
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011