The Detroit News today reports on President Obama’s recognition of Dow Chemical Co. and the company’s chairman and CEO, Andrew Liveris, as important contributors to the U.S. economy and manufacturing. From “White House takes notice of Dow CEO“:
Dow Chemical Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Andrew Liveris has become a frequent guest at the White House, trying to wield influence with President Barack Obama as a voice for Michigan and manufacturing.
Liveris, who serves on the President’s Export Council, visited the White House at least 10 times in the past two years for meetings large and small, social events and quarterly council meetings, said Valerie Jarrett, senior adviser and assistant to the president for intergovernmental affairs and public engagement.
Liveris “competes aggressively to win contracts that will lead to jobs in the U.S. and in Michigan,” Jarrett said. “He is someone with whom we are in very regular dialogue.”
The company sent the newspaper a statement from Liveris, who said: “In partnership with local, state and federal officials, we have brought new investment and high-paying jobs to Michigan. If we can do it here, in our recession battered state, it can be done anywhere in the U.S.”
Liveris’ new book, “Make It In America: The Case for Re-Inventing the Economy,” was released last month. As the book’s blurb states, the book:
- Explains how a manufacturing sector creates economic value at a scale unmatched by any other, and how central the sector is to creating jobs both inside and outside the factory.
- Explores how other nations are building their manufacturing sectors to stay competitive in the global economy, and describes how America has failed to keep up.
- Provides an aggressive, practical and comprehensive agenda that will put the U.S. back on track to lead the world.
In the News story, NAM President Jay Timmons calls Liveris, “a proven leader in manufacturing who knows the reality of the challenges manufacturers face in today’s global economy.’
- CEO, “CEO Interview: Andrew Liveris, Dow Chemical – Investing – Stocks …“
- NPR, “NPR: Audio interview with Dow Chemical CEO Andrew Liveris about …“
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011