With the coming demise of the Castro dictatorship in Cuba, Chavez must want to ensure his global preeminence as the most aggressive socialist leader of an impoverished, undemocratic country. He’s giving Alyaksandr Lukashenka, the Belarus dictator, a run for his money.
CARACAS, Oct 26 (Reuters) – Venezuela sent troops to two plants owned by U.S. bottle maker Owens Illinois on Tuesday after President Hugo Chavez ordered nationalization of the company’s operations on charges of environmental crimes and exploiting workers.
Owens Illinois stock (OI.N) fell nearly 6 percent after the socialist leader’s televised address on Monday night in which he expropriated the plants.
“There are military personnel on the scene at each of the plants,” said Owens Illinois spokeswoman Stephanie Johnston.
- El Universal, “Owens Illinois surprised to learn of the seizure decision“
- AFP, “Venezuela seizes local unit of US company“
UPDATE (4 p.m.): A statement from Owens Illinois:
Late last night we learned of the Chavez administration’s intention to expropriate O-I’s operations in Venezuela. We were surprised to learn of this decision and we are prepared to work with government officials to better understand the situation.
O-I has been supplying glass food and beverage containers to meet the needs of the Venezuelan people for more than 50 years. Our two plants in Venezuela, located in Los Guayos and Valera, employ more than 1000 people and represent less than 5 percent of our global segment operating profit. We remain committed to complying with all laws and regulations.
- U.K. Telegraph, June 2010, “Chavez pushes Venezuela into food war“
- U.K. Telegraph, March 2009, “Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez tightens state control of food amid rocketing inflation and food shortages“
In unrelated unfreedoms…
- Associated Press, “Venezuela to set up joint funds with Libya and Syria“
- Vheadline.com, “Russia, Iran and Belarus to build 37,512 houses in Venezuela“
- Al Jazeera, “Chavez criticized in Venezuela for contacts with Belarusian dictator“
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011