A theory: The National Rifle Association’s “deal” with Democratic drafters of H.R. 5175, the Democracy Is Strengthened by Casting Light on Spending in Elections (DISCLOSE) Act, is so offensive to free speech principles that it’s actually the NRA’s Machiavellian scheme to scuttle the entire bill.
Good job, guys! You’ve managed to unite the National Association of Manufacturers, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Sierra Club and U.S. Public Interest Research Group in opposition to the DISCLOSE Act.
- CQPolitics.com, “NRA Deal in Campaign Reform Measure Draws Fire“
- MiamiHerald.com, “Democrats carve exception for NRA to salvage campaign law“
- The Hill, “Dems face backlash over NRA deal“
- National Journal, “Van Hollen: No Labor Carve-Out“
- USA Today, “NRA campaign-finance exemption sparks criticism“
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011