From the American Forces Press Service, “Gates Proposes Revamp of Export System“:
WASHINGTON, April 20, 2010 – The United States must totally revamp the Cold War-era export control system, because as currently configured, it actually harms national security, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here today.
Gates told members of Business Executives for National Security that the export control system does not adequately protect crucial American capabilities and makes it nearly impossible to quickly share needed capabilities with allies and partners.
Gates said his proposal for a new export control process would make it more difficult for critical technologies to get into the hands of rogue states and terrorists while facilitating the transfer of technology to U.S. allies.
“The United States is thought to have one of the most stringent export regimes in the world, but stringent is not the same as effective,” Gates said. “A number of lapses in recent years – from highly sensitive materials being exported to vital homeland security capabilities being delayed – have underscored the flaws of the current approach.”
The transcript of Secretary Gates’ speech is available here.
The National Association of Manufacturers released a statement on the proposal, “Manufacturers Encouraged by Administration’s Export Control Changes. NAM Vice President for International Economic Affairs Frank Vargo said:
Manufacturers are pleased the Administration is moving forward with changes to modernize the current Cold-war era system. These changes are critical to keeping America secure and competitive globally. We are particularly encouraged by the announcement of a single control list and a unified information technology platform, but we believe the Administration must also move forward on near- and medium-term reforms along the way to creating a single agency.
- Wall Street Journal, “Plan Would Revamp Export Controls“
- Financial Times, “Gates plans arms sales rethink” (That’s an unfortunate headline. The issue is definitely NOT the sale of arms.)
- Washington Post, “href=”http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/20/AR2010042002921.html”>US to revamp export controls“
- Bloomberg, “U.S. to Consolidate Export Controls to Boost Trade“
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011