We always appreciate when Members of Congress stand up to defend secret ballots, and we’ve seen more and more expressions of support for the democratic institution on Capitol Hill.
- Just today Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) said that if the Senate took a secret ballot vote on Supreme Court nomination of Judge Sotomayor it might be unanimous.
- Last week the legislative manager of EFCA in the Senate, Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), said that secret ballots should be used to determine Senate Committee Chairmen.
- Earlier this year Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY) expressed appreciation for secret ballots after the vote to determine the chairmanship of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
- Also Rep. Heath Shuler (D-NC) was quick to instruct his colleagues to vote with their secret ballots for that same Chairmanship election.
- Who could forget when Rep. George Miller (D-CA) wrote to Mexican officials requesting secret ballot union elections?
Unfortunately all of these Members of Congress support the jobs-killing Employee Free Choice Act which would effectively eliminate secret ballots for American workers. I guess this is just another case of something being “good enough for me, but not for thee.”