AP reports on yesterday’s Ways & Means Committee hearing, “Obama’s plan to hike taxes meets fierce opposition“:
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s call to raise taxes on high earners and greenhouse gas polluters met fierce opposition Tuesday from congressional Republicans and also a few Democrats. “I would never want to adversely affect anything that is charitable or good,” Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., chairman of the tax-writing House Ways and Means Committee, said of Obama’s call to limit high-income taxpayers’ itemized deductions for charitable donations and mortgage interest.
Republicans said the president’s plan to charge fees to industries that spew greenhouse gases amounts to a stealthy tax increase for all Americans that will far exceed the new $400 annual tax cut for workers that he wants to extend beyond 2010.
“The president’s budget increases taxes on every American, and does so during a recession,” said Rep. Dave Camp of Michigan, the top Republican on the Ways and Means Committee.
The link from Instapundit, who like other libertarian-leaning bloggers is drawing critical attention to the expanded government, higher taxes and market-rattling proposals from the Obama Administration.
We find other news in the AP story, that is, that the demonization of the energy industry, manufacturers and other wealth-creators has been accepted as the acceptable story line by the mainstream media.
- “high earners and greenhouse gas polluters” — so carbon dioxide IS pollution, according to this shorthand. Did you know you’re a walking, talking greenhouse gas polluter?
- “industries that spew greenhouse gases” – spew. Spew! Granted, it’s an active verb, but emitting carbon dioxide or water vapor in the production of electricity, steel, automobiles, solar panels, posters to carry at a protest– Is that “spewing,” i.e., unrestrained and irresponsible?
If you control the terms of the debate, you control the debate.
Or maybe it’s just reporting that sacrifices accuracy and impartiality in favor of colorful language.
Also, Treasury Secretary Geithner’s testimony from the hearing.
And, more Instapundit:
YOU CAN’T MAKE THIS STUFF UP: Geithner: Obama to fight international tax dodgers.
No wonder they’d rather talk about Limbaugh.
UPDATE (9:25 a.m.): CQ Politics, “Democratic Revolt May Slow Obama Agenda”
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011