The 110th Congress pulls out of the pit for one last run around the track, heading into the home stretch, spotting the checkered flag, but…oh no, what’s that?
The House reassembles at 10 a.m. Tuesday for possible consideration of economic recovery legislation and/or aid to the domestic auto industry, a $15 billion package to keep the industry going through the spring. The Senate convenes at 3 p.m. Monday.
President Bush enjoys the holidays amid national defense and intelligence events.
President-elect Obama is expected to continue announcing appointments to his cabinet, including the formal naming of former Senator Tom Daschle to head Health and Human Services and lead efforts to restructure, refinance, redo and remake health care.
- Agriculture, Monday, reviewing the role of credit derivatives in the U.S. economy.
- Appropriations, Thursday, hearing on the Impact of Recession on States and Local Communities.
- Financial Services, Wednesday, “Oversight Concerns Regarding Treasury Department Conduct of the Troubled Assets Relief Program.”
- Oversight and Government, Tuesday, “The Role of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in the Financial Crisis.”
- Energy Independence and Global Warming, Thursday, hearing entitled “Approaching Midnight: Oversight of the Bush Administration’s Last-Minute Rulemakings.’‘ The focus is on environmental regs, including those affecting the ability to mine uranium for purposes of energy independence and global warming. Wonder if the committee will get the connection.
- Energy and Natural Resources, Wednesday, on “investments in clean energy and natural resources projects and programs to create green jobs and to stimulate the economy.”
- HELP Committee, Wednesday, “Prevention and Public Health: The Key to Transforming our Sickcare System.” Sickcare, eh? Remember when “wellness” was a neologism?
Executive Branch: The President and First Lady this morning attend the Children’s Holiday Reception and Performances, and then the President travels to McLean to visit the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the National Counterterrorism Center. On Tuesday, the President travels to West Point for defense events. On Friday, he delivers the commencement address at Texas A&M.
Economic Reports: On Thursday, the Bureau of Labor Statistics releases the Import and Export Price Indices for November (although BLS uses the plural form, “indexes.”) Friday, BLS releases the Producer Price Index for November.
Latest posts by Carter Wood (see all)
- Farewell from a Blogger - May 25, 2011
- Activist Ignore Evidence to Back Shakedown Suit Against Chevron - May 25, 2011
- More than a Lawsuit: A Circle of Political Pressure Against Chevron - May 25, 2011