(Note: NAM’s Executive Vice President Jay Timmons is at the National Democratic Convention in Denver this week, and he’ll be blogging events, adding his insights as both a veteran of Senate and campaign politics and as a top representative of the U.S. manufacturing economy.)
Big Labor Bosses are flexing their muscles at the Democratic Convention, proving how vital the dues they collect from unionized workers are to Democrat political objectives.
Karen Ackerman, the AFL-CIO political director, gave a sneak peak yesterday at the massive $53 million the union will unload to influence unsuspecting voters.
Here are a few of the highlights:
- One million pieces of mail going out today in four target states: Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin
- A goal of 10 million doors to be knocked on
- Over 25 million pieces of mail before election day
- 70 million phone calls
- 250,000 volunteers
The focus of today’s mailer, according to Ackerman, is to build awareness of the Obama record in the Senate showing that “he is a partisan and will not cave.” (So much for letting the nominee move to the political center to attract independent voters.)
Overall, the AFL-CIO Big Labor Bosses say they will engage in 510 races from statehouses to the White House to “build a sustained movement,” including 61 U.S. House campaigns and 11 U.S. Senate campaigns.
Ackerman also indicated that the unions will deploy union lawyers and poll watchers on Election Day as part of a “voter protection program”. Given their focused determination to eliminate the secret ballot in union organizing efforts, voters might want to be a little concerned about the “protection” the Big Labor Bosses want to provide.
- Rocky Mountain News, “Fractured labor unions displays unity at DNC rally“
- Financial Week, “AFL-CIO unveils $50 million campaign for Obama “
- AFL-CIO events during Democratic National Convention
- The AFL-CIO blog, reporting from Denver.
Latest posts by Jay Timmons (see all)
- President Trump Begins Work to Support Manufacturers on Day One - January 20, 2017
- Impeding the Development of Lifesaving Products Is What’s Really “Dangerous” - November 29, 2016
- President Obama Has Crossed the Line - September 9, 2016