Welcome ANWR Blog!

By May 17, 2006Energy

Just wanted to give a little shout-out to some new friends in the blogosphere. Today, as part of ANWR.org — which we’ve linked to in the past — is ANWR blog, which is really focused on action.

It’s a great site, lays out the case pretty well:

“ANWR represents the nation’s best geologic prospects for major new onshore oil discoveries, and only the 1.5 million acres (8 percent) on the northern coast of ANWR is being considered for development. The remaining 17.5 million acres (92 percent) of ANWR will remain permanently closed to any kind of development. If oil is discovered, less than 2,000 acres of the Coastal Plain would actually be affected – or less than half of one percent.”

It was just launched this week, but it has testimonials, backgrounders, and links coming soon that will allow you to write to your member of Congress and your local newspaper.

Here’s a copy of their flyer that announces their arrival and lists their features.

And so we say welcome to the blogosphere and we look forward to working with them to open our own resources to our use, in order to drive down the price of energy. No other country limits access to its own natural resources, why should we?

Join the discussion 3 Comments

  • I, being an Alaskan, am sick of hearing the propaganda going around the nation, that it is harmful to the environment to drill in ANWR. It is frozen, barren tundra. I have a post written about it in my archives. Lets become less dependant on terrorist countrie’s oil. Wake up U.S. http://anthonylemons.blogspot.com

  • albert says:

    Those 2000 acres are spread out in 30 small locations. To support this drilling almost the entire costal plain would be ruined. Look here for an educated estimate of the footprint this development would cause.
    (sorry i dont know how to hyperlink it)

    It is well past the time to stop choking the earth as we spew our trash for our own selfish means.

  • Ava Ryan says:

    I’m sorry but I totally don’t agree with Pat Cleary’s Post at all. Any development in the ANWR will change Caribou migration patterns permanently. A can of paint left by mistake changed their migration pattern 5 miles. Leave this land unspoiled. I had the pleasure to visit the ANWR last summer and it is a place of awe and stark beauty.

    The total amount of oil that can be drilled out of the ANWR is the same if Americans simply kept their tires inflated to the proper pounds per square inch. It’s ridiculous to drill in such a pristine spot when such a simply alternative solution is available. In 1995 the US Energy Department said that under-inflated tires waste an estimated 4 million gallons of gas daily in America. Go to http://www.pumpemup.org for more info. A 9 year old girl called Savannah Walters seems to be able to come up with better conservation ideas than our current administration. How pitiful is that?

    Oh, I’ve written my congressmen and Senators, but not for Drilling but against it. Think of a better solution. Thank God, Congress had enough sense to continue the ban on Offshore Drilling. One for the Environment.

    Why aren’t you supporting efforts like Savannah Walters? Because it doesn’t earn you anything.